Monday, January 14, 2013

The Science Question

The devil is in the details. Never has this expression been more relevant in my life than now. The IRB is asking another set of questions. There is a dedicated group of people in the university whose job it is to suggest modifications in the conduct of research. The end point of course is to make sure that subject welfare is looked after. The way the discipline is configured today, I doubt many have to go through the IRB stage. My own supervisor worked with documents. Rare is the political scientist - let alone of the IR sort - who works with people. If you include the human element, how can you even talk 'objective' science? The precautions being taken by the IRB presumes that I, the researcher, could not possibly occupy that archimedean point. The way they are asking questions means they expect me  - the researcher - to disturb the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment